Thursday, August 20, 2009

One hundred and hmdfsmm records, reviewed in a few hundred days...

It was only a year ago when a great record store in Kansas City, the Music Exchange, went out of business and put all of its remaining merchandise up for sale. Tens of thousands of records were offered for $1 a piece, and being someone who had often wanted to get into record collecting, I could not resist this unique opportunity to hit the ground running.

I spent a few hours over 4 or 5 days leafing through some of the worst records known to man, in hopes of finding the mint condition Hunky Dory, some classic Motown gems, and to branch into albums and artists I'd always intended to know more about, but always found reasons to ignore.

What ensued was a hot, sweaty, and dusty road through bins of both beauty and of crapulescence. I'm not sure if I was entirely disappointed to find that my $1 purchase of Milli Vanilli's, "Girl You Know It's True" debut album was in fact the "Everybody's All American" motion picture soundtrack, but the journey was worth the $140 or so that I ended up spending.

Now that I am finally moved into some new and stable digs, and that I have hooked up my newly acquired turntable, I am able to drop some knowledge on the masses. What will follow is my effort to review, in a semi-concise manner, around one album a day for however long it may take. They may come in spurts, they may come at three in the morning, but eventually, I will listen to and review them all. Through the diamonds in the proverbial rough, to the kid who smells of Cheerios in the proverbial remedial learning circle, I will post my reviews to satisfy my own vanity.

In this era of self-aggrandizing Internet usage, it is easy to get lost in some of the baser appeals to popularity and fame, yet this is the way of the world. Everyone must promote themselves to a degree, and I am no different. Enjoy ignoring my take on these records! As I learned long ago from My Buddy, the most prescient minded of the Playskool characters, "Wherever I go, egos."

1 comment:

Jane said...

Nice vocab, Bobby! Best word yet: crapulescence.